1. Hi Guest! Log in and play now: mc.kotobaminers.org (MC Version 1.8 onwards)
  2. Hi Guest! Got a question? Just want to chat? Join us on Discord and stay up to date with all the Kotoba Miners crew! Access here).

Don't have the desktop version of Discord? Get it here.

3. Hey Guest!! Stay up to date with events and activities by following us on:
    Official Blog || Facebook || Google+ || Reddit || Twitter || Twitch stream ||
  4. Hi Guest! For a better experience, consider downloading the KotobaRPG Resource pack

The word "but"

Discussion in 'Ask a Senpai!' started by Dat_Yoshi, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Dat_Yoshi

Dat_Yoshi New Member

Hey everyone I was wondering what the difference was between が でも and けど . They seem to all mean but. Is one more common or formal? Or is their a nuance to each one?

2. Dat_Yoshi

Dat_Yoshi New Member

お金はあまりありませんが新しい本を買います。

Heres one example that I came across with が

3. TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf Moderator Moderator

I'm not entirely sure on が (Aside the typical subject marker), but every time I saw it, it was more an "and". Unless it has another more obscure meaning?

The difference between でも and けど, from what I know is that with the later you may or may not link a second clause. Like saying "I want to go but..."

「ケーキは本当素晴らしかったけど。」
    「ケーキは本当素晴らしかったでも、食べ過ぎた!」

That's as far as I understand those two ways to say "but". There's also しかし, it's like でも only more formal (And has some extra nuance that I can't really explain...)

commander_kirika likes this.
  4. commander_kirika

commander_kirika Active Member

「だが(が)」「でも」「だけど(けど)」「しかし」...they mean "but" .
    We don't use 「しかし」 and 「だが(が)」 with my friends. They are used in formal situation .
    When we have a conversation with our friend , we use 「でも 」.
    「でも」 is used " in daily conversation , also 「だけど(けど)」
    「 だが(が)」and 「だけど(けど) 」can be used to connect two or more sentences in conversation.

TriggerWolf likes this.
  5. TriggerWolf

さすがキリ師匠!

6. Dat_Yoshi

Dat_Yoshi New Member

Thanks everyone! That helps alot!

7. cheapsh0t

cheapsh0t 日本語の先生 Teacher Administrator

The second sentence is invalid here. でも does not attach to words like that. It can be used at the start of a new sentence though:

ケーキは本当素晴らしかった。でも、食べ過ぎた!

commander_kirika and TriggerWolf like this.
  8. TriggerWolf

Crud... Thanks! I was pretty sure that only with しかし I had to separate into a different sentence.