1. Hi Guest! Log in and play now: mc.kotobaminers.org (MC Version 1.8 onwards)
  2. Hi Guest! Got a question? Just want to chat? Join us on Discord and stay up to date with all the Kotoba Miners crew! Access here).

Don't have the desktop version of Discord? Get it here.

3. Hey Guest!! Stay up to date with events and activities by following us on:
    Official Blog || Facebook || Google+ || Reddit || Twitter || Twitch stream ||
  4. Hi Guest! For a better experience, consider downloading the KotobaRPG Resource pack

Step by step guide to install Shaders on Minecraft 1.7.10 and Forge! [OSX and Windows]

Discussion in 'Mods, plugins and tutorials' started by TriggerWolf, Oct 10, 2014.

1. TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf Moderator Moderator

ようこそ!

Welcome to my step by step guide to install SEUS (Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders) or any other shader pack on Minecraft 1.7.10 with Forge in Windows and Mac OSX! (Currently not compatible with 1.8 since Forge and shaders mod are not available yet)

So... first things first, what will you need? (Will provide download links for each platform in their respective section!)

• Minecraft (of course... :D)
    • Forge
    • Optifine (Not mandatory but highly recommended for better performance! srsly guys, get it, you won't regret it)
    • SEUS (What's the point of this tutorial if you're not getting the main subject?)

So, without further adieu...

こちらどうぞ!

Windows

I am running Windows 8.1 but, it is the same process for Windows 7 (I also assume for XP but with different paths later on)

Now, I also take that you have vanilla minecraft without anything else, so let's start by downloading Forge...

Step 1 - Forge!

Here!

This page should pop up...

[​IMG]
    So, since you should be using version 1.7.10 and you are using Windows, click on "Installer-Win" for "1.7.10-Recommended" and you'll be redirected to the download.

After downloading the file, just run it and this will pop up:

[​IMG]
    It should automatically point to where your minecraft resources are located. [USER] means that your user name should be there.

Just click OK to "Install client" and wait a few seconds towards success :D...

Now... to see if everything is right... run Minecraft.

[​IMG]

On the left, you can select the profile, so, if not already selected as Forge, just click on the drop down menu and do so. Then, on the right, you should see that but with the forge version you downloaded (In my case 1179 since I already had it installed). If everything went fine, press "Play".

And you should end with this awesome screen also featuring Kotoba Miners RPG resource pack main menu wallpaper!:

[​IMG]

If everything is right, you should see something new, like I outlined in the screenshot! (You will not see Optifine yet though, already had it installed :D) If not, shoot me up a PM and I'll try to troubleshoot it with you.

Ok, so, Forge is installed and running, quit minecraft as... Next up is Optifine.

Step 2 - Optifine!

Here!

Then you should see this:

[​IMG]

Just click the download link and save the file (I recommend the desktop, you will need to move it right away).
    If somehow the downloaded file turns out a zip file, rename it's extension back to jar! If I recall correctly Internet Explorer loves to do that. Though... who still uses IE?...

Now... I'll get more technical but it's to be faster and assuming you installed minecraft into its default folder!

Just press [Win Key]+R and the run prompt should pop up, then write (without quote marks) "%appdata%\.minecraft" and your minecraft folder should open without a fuss. ;)

Also don't close it until you have finished the tutorial.

It should look similar to this:

[​IMG]
    (Yep.. window color has changed.. and it will change again, I have wallpapers cycling once every 20 minutes so you'll have an idea how long I am taking to write this lol XD)

OK, now just drag and drop "OptiFine_1.7.10_HD_U_A4.jar" into the "mods" folder, then run minecraft once again... This time, your minecraft should be looking more similar to mine if Optifine loaded correctly. If not, again shoot me up a PM and I'll help you out.

So, there's another step completed, next up... SEUS!

Step 3 - SEUS!

Here!

OK, so this will be a bit more tricky, because for SEUS you'll need to download a required file to make it work!

Scrolling down a bit, you'll find this:

[​IMG]
    (Wow... color changed once again?)

Just click link inside the red box and it'll open another page...

[​IMG]

Again, just pick one of the mirrors inside the red box to download the file.

Look! Another jar file: "ShadersModCore-v2.3.28-mc1.7.10-f.jar", just drop the little bugger in the "mods" folder next to Optifine.

Now, you'll need the main reason for this whole tutorial... the actual shaders!

Here!

Just click the big download on the top of the post. Now, this time it really IS a zip file.

"OK now I should drop it into the 'mods' folder right?"
    Nope.

This one will go to a folder called "shaderpacks". If it doesn't exist, just create one and drop the "seus-v10.1-Preview2.zip" in there!

Now to see if it works... Run Minecraft once again. Now this time it should look really similar to mine! Aside a few different things like the number of mods installed and such...

In the main menu, press "Options". You should notice something different. A "shaders" button has appeared. Hit it!

This should be what you're looking at:

[​IMG]

Don't mind SEUS v10.0, you should only see "(none)" "(internal)" and "seus-v10.1-Preview2.zip". Also I recommend the same settings on the side. Just select the shader pack, press "Done" and it is applied!...

Now, is it really working? Join a world.

If something like this is on your screen (press F11 for full screen)...
    [​IMG]
    and your performance has taken a serious impact then....

(Screenshot is really wide due to my monitors native resolution and aspect ratio. Which is 2560x1080, 21:9 aspect ratio)

Congratulations! You have successfully installed the shader pack!

Now you'll be asking... "How do you have dat nice and smooth depth of field effect and awesome bright lighting that I've seen in your screenshots?!"

I will be covering more of the options you can change in game and in the shader pack itself to add Depth of Field and change light brightness and white balance later! I think you'll agree with me that the default brightness is a bit too dark, the in game brightness setting is completely overridden by the shaders.

By installing Optifine you'll have access to a load of new performance oriented options that you can change according to your computer's capabilities, but again I will go into that in another guide, after doing the Mac OSX version of this one (OSX users also need some 愛 :D)

Mac OSX version of this guide will be posted tomorrow (Saturday) in another post! Never imagined I'd take this long to do this lol.

I hope you have enjoyed it. Thank you for reading this. Remember, if you have any problem with this tutorial (not understanding something or something not working), send me a PM, throw me a message on "LINE", or even poke me on TS if I'm there and I will do my best to help you out!

ありがとうございます!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Nayelianne likes this.
  2. cheapsh0t

cheapsh0t 日本語の先生 Teacher Administrator

Yay! I did it!
    2014-10-11_08.54.54.png

3. TriggerWolf

Nice! That was fast.

4. TriggerWolf

Mac OSX

Ok, so here's the Mac OSX version of the tutorial above. I currently use OSX 10.10 Yosemite Beta 2 but it should be the same for previous versions.

Attention!
    Unfortunately, I just learned that SEUS is incompatible with OSX and/or Intel Graphics, but I will provide another shader pack to be used!

Now, I also take that you have vanilla minecraft without anything else, so let's start by downloading Forge...

Step 1 - Forge!

Here!

This page should pop up:

[​IMG]
    (I love OSX's window screenshot feature... looks like the window is floating. :D)

You want to download for version "1.7.10-Recommended", just click the "Installer" to download Forge.

Ok, now you should have gotten a file named "forge-1.7.10-10.13.0.1180-installer.jar"... Just run it as any other executable...

This window should be on your screen...

[​IMG]
    Where the blank space is, it should be your user name.

Just click OK to "Install Client" and wait for it to be finished.

Let's run minecraft to check if everything is working!

[​IMG]
    On the left, you can select the profile, so, if not already selected as Forge, just click on the drop down menu and do so. Then, on the right, you should see that. If everything went fine, press "Play".

[​IMG]
    And you are presented with this screen. If everything is right, you will see what is inside the red boxes.

So, Forge is now installed and running smoothly. Next we'll go for Optifine.

Step 2 - Optifine!

Here!

Then you should see this:

[​IMG]

Just click the download link and save the file

Now, to go to your minecraft folder just open "Finder" press "Go" on the menu bar then select "Go to Folder" and write "/Users/[your_user_name]/Library/Application Support/minecraft" just like in the screenshot below

[​IMG]
    Now you should be looking at the minecraft folder similar to this one:

[​IMG]

OK, now just drop "OptiFine_1.7.10_HD_U_A4.jar" into the "mods" folder, then run minecraft once again... Optifine should now pop up on the lower left corner of the screen.

So, there's another step completed, next up... the shader pack!

Step 3 - The Shader pack!

Here!

To be able to use the shader packs you'll need to download a required file to make it work!

Scroll a bit down and you'll see this:

[​IMG]

Just click link inside the red box and it'll open another page...

[​IMG]
    Again, just pick one of the mirrors inside the red box to download the file.

Another jar file: "ShadersModCore-v2.3.28-mc1.7.10-f.jar", just drop the little bugger in the "mods" folder next to Optifine.

Now, you'll need the main reason for this whole tutorial... the actual shaders!

As I mentioned before, if you're using Mac OSX and/or have an Intel Graphics, SEUS is unfortunately not usable... so I will provide a different shader pack that is just as good!

Here!

Now scroll down and you will see a few download links...

[​IMG]

Now, if you have OSX and Intel integrated graphics... you have to use the older Basic 1.04 version or the Vibrant 1.03, I took Basic 1.04 DoF for this tutorial, because Vibrant 1.03 makes my laptop fall to its knees going from 30FPS to 4FPS... (nice!) Though it looks very good.

If you have OSX and a dedicated GPU, like nVidia or AMD you can take the 1.051 version! Unfortunately I don't know the differences between them, but you should take one more appropriate to what your GPU can take to avoid a huge performance hit, or just try them all out.

This one will go to a folder called "shaderpacks". If it doesn't exist, just create one and drop the "zip" in there.

Now to see if it works... Run Minecraft once again. Then in the main menu, press "Options". You should notice something different. A "shaders" button has appeared. Hit it!

This should be what you're looking at:

[​IMG]
    Just pick the shader pack you just downloaded and press done. I also recommend using the settings to the right.

Now, is it really working? Join a world.

If something like this is on your screen (press F11 for full screen)...

[​IMG]
    and your performance has taken a performance impact then....
    Congratulations! You have successfully installed the shader pack!

In this screen it's not too obvious, I'm also just using the vanilla texture pack and a very basic shader pack but it's definitely working. My FPS went from 30 down to 18...

I hope you have enjoyed it. Thank you for reading this. Remember, if you have any problem with this tutorial (not understanding something or something not working), send me a PM, throw me a message on "LINE", or even poke me on TS if I'm there and I will do my best to help you out!

ありがとうございます!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    cheapsh0t likes this.
  5. cheapsh0t

cheapsh0t 日本語の先生 Teacher Administrator

Amazing tutorials!!

6. TriggerWolf

Thanks! I'm glad :D

7. Nayelianne

Nayelianne Member Staff Member

@TriggerWolf Thank you for the guide, going to try it out c: Just so I don't screw something up: the current Latest recommended version of Forge for Minecraft 1.7.10 is Forge #1230. Should I assume that won't work with optifine and stick to Forge #1180 to be able have both installed?

Edit: Installed 1180 for now to be safe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  8. TriggerWolf

Hmm... You can try with Forge 1230. I'm using an older version and it still works (1179) so it'll probably work with 1230.

LOL, signs get's really bright when right next to a light source block and so will your hand, That's some sort of bug from the shaders.

Later I'll make the tutorial to change some settings in the shaders. Brightness and light color, etc

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  9. MrPan

MrPan New Member

Sadly, the shader can't go with Optifine, at least for me, because when i have it without optifine it runs perfectly, but laggy, and when i use Optifine, my screen go completly black, everything is black but the HUD and the chat, do you know how to solve that? it worked perfect once with the both mods, but wheni logged out of minecraft and then logged in again this started.
    There are 2 images, one with Optifine and the other without Optifine

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  10. TriggerWolf

Are you running on Windows or Mac OS? Have you tried a clean Minecraft installation?

11. MrPan

MrPan New Member

Windows

12. MrPan

MrPan New Member

and yes, i tried, cleaning all my minecraft and then re-install it while is still no mods, no worlds, no nothing, but still happens when i try to put optifine

13. MrPan

MrPan New Member

and as you can see, no little screens in the bottom left, so is not THAT normal, most of people have the screens in the bottom left.

14. MrPan

MrPan New Member

Other thing, NO INTEL GRAPHICS

15. TriggerWolf

Have you tried reinstalling graphics drivers? Honestly I'm stumped, more often than not usually when there's any problem it's the shaders themselves.

Also check Optifines and Forges versions for any incompatibilities.

16. MrPan

MrPan New Member

Could you give me the Optifine and Forge versions that are not incompatibles please?