1. Hi Guest! Log in and play now: mc.kotobaminers.org (MC Version 1.8 onwards)
  2. Hi Guest! Got a question? Just want to chat? Join us on Discord and stay up to date with all the Kotoba Miners crew! Access here).

Don't have the desktop version of Discord? Get it here.

3. Hey Guest!! Stay up to date with events and activities by following us on:
    Official Blog || Facebook || Google+ || Reddit || Twitter || Twitch stream ||
  4. Hi Guest! For a better experience, consider downloading the KotobaRPG Resource pack

Migration to Discord

Discussion in 'News' started by cheapsh0t, Dec 3, 2016.

By cheapsh0t on Dec 3, 2016 at 8:52 AM
  1. cheapsh0t

cheapsh0t 日本語の先生 Teacher Administrator

Hello all..! Long time no speak.

What's been happening recently?
    • New Let's Play sessions
    • Manga reading sessions
    • And today's news: a migration from humble TeamSpeak to in-your-face Discord
    First of all, some of you will be thinking "why?" So let me explain:

Why Discord?
    For me, Discord is like TeamSpeak + IRC all rolled into one. It has all of the merits of TeamSpeak and then some. I, personally, don't use TeamSpeak a lot for a number of reasons.
    1. Teamspeak has no 'offline' mode.
    I can't be apart of the community conversation if I don't log in and stay logged in.
    2. Teamspeak is predominantly voice chat
    I personally can't find the time to sit in voice chat with the KM crew because of work/family/time constraints.
    3. Teamspeak only offers synchronous, verbal communication
    Again, if I'm not online, I can't participate. Compare this to a chat-based program (like IRC, FBMessenger, or Discord) where I can see a chat message on my phone, leave it for an hour, and then reply when I get time.

Now how do I think discord helps here? Very simply:

It offers exactly what TeamSpeak does: voice chat rooms open at all hours for those that want to speak, but it also offers more: asynchronous chat, push-notifications, permanent chat channels. I can read messages on my desktop or mobile also. Additionally, I can push notifications to the whole community (assuming they also have the mobile/desktop app) with the @everyone tag. The inclusion of multiple channels is also great for keeping conversations separate (if the community grows this will be vital). And finally, there's a stupid not that gives you XP and levels for participation haha.

Based on those reasons, and the perceived benefits of switching to discord, I initiated the switch.

One critique I can think of for discord is that their monetisation model hasn't been put into effect yet, which could mean that in the future the service will be expensive and thus not an option for the small KM server community.

Anyway, that's my argument for the switch over, but, there are probably more reasons to stay with TeamSpeak that I haven't thought of. I noticed that you preferred people to use TeamSpeak for the manga reading lesson and it just piqued my interest as to why that service was chosen.

If you want to stay up to date with Kotoba Miners chat, play with the new bot (there are loads of games...!), or just come and speak to us, download the desktop version of Discord here then....

✆ Click here to join the Kotoba Miners Discord server 

よろしくお願いします!

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by cheapsh0t, Dec 3, 2016.