1. Hi Guest! Log in and play now: mc.kotobaminers.org (MC Version 1.8 onwards)
  2. Hi Guest! Got a question? Just want to chat? Join us on Discord and stay up to date with all the Kotoba Miners crew! Access here).

Don't have the desktop version of Discord? Get it here.

3. Hey Guest!! Stay up to date with events and activities by following us on:
    Official Blog || Facebook || Google+ || Reddit || Twitter || Twitch stream ||
  4. Hi Guest! For a better experience, consider downloading the KotobaRPG Resource pack

Could we get a bot or something for the Spam? :/

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Masterdriss, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Masterdriss

Masterdriss New Member

The moment when you come to the forums to read some entertaining stuff about Japanese or/and learning and you find lots of advertisements about how to take care of your skin with completely non-related stuff. ( ´・ω・`)

firm_metal likes this.
  2. TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf Moderator Moderator

Sorry about this Driss.

I've been away in Italy and I wasn't able to keep track of the forum spam while I was there. I'm back home and I'll keep the spam bots in check from now on.

I usually unleash the ban hammer on 3 or 4 bots every morning on my way to work, as they usually post during the night between 4 and 5AM my time... but being away for a few days they went on a rampage.

Again, sorry about this.

Cheers
    o/

3. Masterdriss

Masterdriss New Member

Thanks man, I'm really grateful that you're doing this. While you do this could go make firm a moderator again on the server? He got a new pc and is a guest right now. Some new people joined the server too and they can't access all the rooms on the server. Thanks =' )

4. TriggerWolf

Sure, I'll be there tomorrow to fix that.

o/

5. TriggerWolf

Driss, send me a message on line when Firm is on so that I can quickly set him up as moderator, when I got on TS today neither of you were there, probably too late...

6. Thasan

Thasan Tech Administrator

Bot costs money... :S
    I have changed some settings to stringent to stop bots, but we need new capcha questions. Any suggests? PM them to me.

TriggerWolf and cheapsh0t like this.
  7. TriggerWolf

I noticed that bot numbers have decreased in the last few days. Don't know if it was your doing Thasan but it was a drastic drop. Though there were some days that I only banned one or two at most, there were days that when I checked I had a whole horde to boot.

Also, I can't be 100% certain but I only noticed that bots posted in the mornings, mostly between 6 and 8AM (GMT).

I can't remember, but does the forum send an activation link? If not, that would be another layer of security.

In any case, I can give a few suggestions for the captcha. Or even use image based captcha if possible.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. cheapsh0t

cheapsh0t 日本語の先生 Teacher Administrator

@Thasan has installed a new capture, which I hope should deter some of these ボットs

9. Thasan

yea I changed settings a bit. now it denies bot registration if that ip is reported to send spam in last 2 weeks

TriggerWolf likes this.
  10. Thasan

chaned old back already. that image thing was bad (and they didint even told it was accually trial before it was end)

cheapsh0t likes this.
  11. TriggerWolf

Awesome. Now hopefully we'll get no more bots. Or at least much fewer.

Thanks @Thasan

12. Thasan

Also, I talk with @kai_f before in minecraft about permanent spam protection. We can make registration to require join minecraft or teamspeak. Bots doen't do that.

kai_f likes this.
  13. cheapsh0t

cheapsh0t 日本語の先生 Teacher Administrator

Sounds good to me!

14. TriggerWolf

Today we were invaded by bots... They seem to always find a way through.

15. Thasan

xenforo plugin development is bit slow, because Template Modification System and XenPorta dislikes debug mode.
    and xenforo has worst plugin development documentation ever.

16. TriggerWolf

I see... so It'll take a while until modifications are applied.

kai_f likes this.
  17. TriggerWolf

First of all I deeply apologize.

This morning I was unable to have a bit of time to do the routine ban hammering on the spam bots, I only managed to get on and I just removed 15 bot threads.

I'm noticing an increase in bot posting late in the after noon as well. Previously, as I said they usually posted early in the morning but it seems that things are getting a bit worse now.

I noticed that quite a few e-mails registered are from "yandex" and as far as I know that is a Russian mail/service provider. I don't know if it's possible but, I've seen quite a few websites blocking certain e-mail providers from registering... That might be a solution, albeit a tad extreme, but it would certainly cut down a good chunk of bot register. Is that possible in xenforo?

Also, does KM forums send an account activation link? (can't remember) If not that also might help.

o/

18. Thasan

Yes it sends.
    I just wrote some new CAPTCHAs http://puu.sh/oz9Xr/4c183e92fc.png

And sorry, I have been too busy (and lazy) to finish that antispam plugin.

cheapsh0t and TriggerWolf like this.
  19. TriggerWolf

O wow @Thasan that is just awesome!

Thanks for clearing that out.

Cheers

20. Thasan

:eek:
    Forum sent notification about new reply, but here has no new replies

edit: oh damn... it was "like"